Friday, June 22, 2018

Bad Batch By Ryan Quinn Flanagan

17 junkies died last week
in the city
of an overdose,
a bad batch of heroin
which happens now
and again,
same thing happened
to Janis Joplin
and a number of others
over a single weekend
back in 1970 Los Angeles,
they were there and then
they were not,
needles hanging from their arms
like new skin.

I hate needles.
I’ve had to have allergy shots
most my life.
And booster shots and blood drawn
and a plethora of other
spikings.

I might snort heroin,
but I would never shoot it.

Plus there is a natural reluctance   
to put anything in your system
that has been smuggled up
someone’s ass.

And cut with more toxins
than the whole of the raw sewage lobby

combined.


About Ryan Quinn Flanagan:
Ryan Quinn Flanagan is a Canadian-born author residing in Elliot Lake, Ontario, Canada with his wife and many bears that rifle through his garbage.  His work can be found both in print and online in such places as: Evergreen Review, The New York Quarterly, Horror Sleaze Trash, In Between Hangovers, Red Fez, and The Oklahoma Review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't Eat Paint Chips Or Become A Poet By JPR

"Hey, is your mag open to submissions?" I run a daily unless the voices tell me not to because they want to party. "The mag i...