Friday, November 22, 2019

FRONT PORCH LAMENT. By Sara Minges



I find comfort in 
the gentle sway 
of the front porch swing 
as I sip a cocktail on 
sultry summer nights.  

Porch swings never really 
belonged to me.
For 30 years, I’ve been 
a visitor perched 
on other people’s swings.  

We only lived once 
in a house we owned,
just a few years 
in that blue house. 

Loved playing whiffle ball out back
Though Dad always complained about 
mowing the grass and Mom often panicked
When I chased the “high balls.”  

My wild whisky blood finds comfort in chaos
It feels like home, complicated, raw, rough
Its flames helped forge my superpowers
Vulnerability, sadness, empathy, joy and laughter
Blended together, never to be torn apart.  





Sara Minges is a 2019 Pitch Best Poet of KC Nominee, Founder of Wonder Woman Rising, peer mentor, coach and motivational speaker living in Overland Park, KS.  She is the author of Naked Toes (Chameleon Press, 2019), and her work has also appeared in Prompts! An Anthology (39 West Press, 2016), Hessler Street Fair 50th Edition (Writing Knights Press, 2019) and Angel’s Share (Shine Runner Press, 2019).  She’s been a featured poet at Blue Monday (2015, Kansas City, MO); Swordfish Tom’s Speakeasy (Kansas City, MO); 3 Wishes (Merriam, KS); Poets & Pints (Minneapolis, MN); Mac’s Back Books, CLE Urban Winery, Visible Voices, and Glass City Roasters (Cleveland and Toledo, OH); In One Ear (Chicago, IL), The Porch (Nashville, TN) and Crescent Moon (Lincoln, NE).  





No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't Eat Paint Chips Or Become A Poet By JPR

"Hey, is your mag open to submissions?" I run a daily unless the voices tell me not to because they want to party. "The mag i...