Tuesday, December 29, 2020

nobody home by Ben Newell

 The guy across the landing
solicits the services of prostitutes,
solicits them on a regular basis.
 
I hear heels ascending the stairwell,
my cue to rise from this 2nd hand sofa
and peer through the peephole. 
 
Tonight’s provider knocks
and knocks and knocks to no avail.
 
Perhaps there was some sort of mix up,
some sort of miscommunication,
perhaps my neighbor isn’t even home—
 
I’m tempted to open the door
and make her an offer. 
 
Unfortunately
I don’t have any cash on hand
and I’m too drunk to drive to the ATM.
 
Let alone
get it up. 




Ben Newell dropped out of the Bennington Writing Seminars during his first semester, eventually resuming his studies at Spalding University where he earned an MFA.  His first full-length collection of poetry, Fuzzball, was recently published by Epic Rites Press. 



 


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't Eat Paint Chips Or Become A Poet By JPR

"Hey, is your mag open to submissions?" I run a daily unless the voices tell me not to because they want to party. "The mag i...