Thursday, June 27, 2024

I am Spitballing and a Huckster by Mark James Andrews


I am riding shotgun playing 
second fiddle in a season in hell.
There once was love lost and lust

for any man, woman or beast.
I am far gone into Rimbaud madness
having a heart to heart with Satan.

I am gallivanting all over town
arm around the hip of a Tristessa girl.
There once was druggie romance

that put a spell on you in the streets 
of Cholula with hushed promises 
to never tell about that winter week.

I am hamster-wheel spinning
rat racing in factotum days.
There once was nights blotto

malt liquor and Tuinal capsules
half reddish orange
half turquoise blue.

I am swaggering for no reason 
down and out in Paris and London.
There once was a day spent 

with tramps in the workhouse 
sporting as half diamond dog
flexing as half man.

I am tapping out near the end 
deep diving in the Book of Job.
There once was a man in the land

of Uz and you might say born under
a bad sign but still the final word
was always supreme with Yahweh.

I am spitballing and a huckster 
with my final play to trick the dust.
There once was gamble and chance 

carp fishing on Xanax in a lava lake
I am done with being nickel and dimed
with rope burns still fresh and hook baited.






Mark James Andrews lives and writes in Metro Detroit. He is the author of five chapbooks. The latest is At The Ice Cow Queen On Mack from Alien Buddha Press. His poetry has appeared in Chiron Review, Nerve Cowboy, Hiram Poetry Review, Slipstream, Respect: The Poetry of Detroit Music and many other spots.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Bacchanalia By Manny Grimaldi

after reading William S. Burroughs When you arrive, my soul hears your heart ringing-  tangled the canopy amidst spiders and butterflies to ...