Thursday, January 10, 2019

Chrysalism by Ashley Cooke

In the amniotic tranquility of being indoors during a thunderstorm

My eyes lit up
as a stream of blue light
cracked across the sky
and all fell black again

The thought of her woke me
as I noticed the emptiness
of this house that grows cold
as her presence fades with every day

I want to hold the lightning between my fingers
let it crash onto my palms
and feel the rain down my arms
but it belongs to the sky

I want to hold her fingers against mine
feel the pulse on her wrists beat with mine
to feel her against my skin
but she belongs to someone else

The lightning scattered
sparks illuminate the trees
in an explosion of force
I opened my door for a better view

She is lies that hold no truth
the words she spoke were scattered
among not only my ears
but among other hopeful hearts

I stood back from the charge
still hooked to the ground
shaking the earth I stood upon
I stepped backwards towards my door

She is a beautiful sight
she can knock anyone off their feet
no matter if you try to stand up to her
she will always have a hold hooked to us

The storm is passing by
the colors of purple and blue
above me had faded to a light gray
no flashes of lightning and crackle of thunder

She is as free as the storm
coming and going as she pleases
here I stand loving her from a distance
wishing she would pass by me again.







About Ashley Cooke: 

Ashley Cooke is a creative writing major attending Long Beach City College. She is from Long Beach, CA. She is currently working on her first poetry collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't Eat Paint Chips Or Become A Poet By JPR

"Hey, is your mag open to submissions?" I run a daily unless the voices tell me not to because they want to party. "The mag i...