Saturday, January 7, 2023

History by Wayne F. Burke

If i had done what
I was going to do long ago
becoming a High School teacher and
coach, I would be long dead, I am
sure: penned in the little town of my birth
with people without imagination enough to dream
and me married, to my High School sweetheart, a nun
in the making, and with kids
a house,
a dog,
a mortgage,
forget it--
I would be early in the cemetery, my tombstone
above ground, flowers on my grave on
anniversary days, and
my footprints all over the
mountains, from me trying to get the hell out
but unable.




Wayne F. Burke's poetry has been widely published in print and online (including in THE DAILY DOPE FIEND). He is author of eight collections of poetry--most recently BLACK SUMMER, Spartan Press, 2021. He lives in Vermont (USA).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't Eat Paint Chips Or Become A Poet By JPR

"Hey, is your mag open to submissions?" I run a daily unless the voices tell me not to because they want to party. "The mag i...