Saturday, August 5, 2023

At My 50th Class Reunion by Wayne F. Burke

no one mentions that
I was the Class President.
No one at the table has anything
to say; no one seems to have heard
anything I said--
the girl that hated me
in High School, hates me
still; the guy that wanted to punch me
out, still wants to, but
still lacks the guts; the
cheer-leading sluts ignore
me--as they had back when;
the class vice-President runs the
show, as he had wanted to 
in High School
(but lacked the savvy).
The ones who never left
town, are the many;
those of us who did
leave, the few.
Everyone I hoped to see
is elsewhere or
dead.
It is deja vu
all over again.







Wayne F. Burke's poetry has been widely published in print and online (including in THE DAILY DOPE FIEND). He is author of eight collections of poetry--most recently BLACK SUMMER, Spartan Press, 2021. He lives in Vermont (USA).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't Eat Paint Chips Or Become A Poet By JPR

"Hey, is your mag open to submissions?" I run a daily unless the voices tell me not to because they want to party. "The mag i...