Tuesday, December 3, 2019

CHEAP BEER. By Gwil James Thomas



So, I’m in the kitchen 
playing with a knife 
and drinking cheap beer,  
as I start studying 
the beer can in front of me –
some people get snobbish 
about cheap beer, 
but at 28 céntimos a can 
mediocre never tasted better –
a drip of condensation then
slithers across the side of the can 
like a bead of sweat zigzagging 
down the torso 
of a beautiful woman 
and I follow the drip as it slips 
over the can’s expiry date 
and find myself thinking over 
the last year, 
making a mental highlight reel 
as I go over this and that 
saying so long and looking back 
with a smile – 
then again 
I could romanticise anything, 
even cheap fucking 
beer.




Gwil James Thomas is a Best of The Net and Pushcart nominee currently living in Donostia, Pais Vasco. He has worked as a chef, product demonstrator, aeroplane cleaner, labourer and news article archivist. His two most recent poetry chapbooks are In The Barrel of a Beautiful Wave (Holy&Intoxicated Publications) for sales and inquiries: johndrobinson@yahoo.co.uk and Writing Beer, Drinking Poetry (Concrete Meat Press) which can be found here: https://adrianmanning.wixsite.com/concretemeatpress/publications

Gwil 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't Eat Paint Chips Or Become A Poet By JPR

"Hey, is your mag open to submissions?" I run a daily unless the voices tell me not to because they want to party. "The mag i...